A common question amongst those learning Reiki, and other forms of healing, is ‘Should I charge for healing?’
It has taken me ages to write this blog because I know it’s a matter for HUGE debate. I’m sure this won’tt encompass all my thoughts on the subject either, but I’ll give it a go. I won’t be sharing just my thoughts, as much as some things to make you think.
You Can’t Charge For Healing – It’s A Gift!
Or should it?
- Personally, I’ve never charged for house clearing or rescue work – although I have occasionally charged for my petrol to travel.
- I’ve often given healing and readings for free.
- I’ve bartered with my healing time, and I have also charged for it.
- I’ve taught others to channel healing energy so that they can do it themselves – for themselves and for other people. And yes, I have charged to teach. You can find out more about healing here.
It Has To Be Down To The Individual As To Whether They Feel Comfortable Charge for Healing
And it is work.
The counselling that goes alongside it, the time you spend with the individual, the experience and training you often undergo yourself in order to be able to confidently give healing and answer questions from those receiving it. Yes, it is a natural gift, and I believe anyone can do it but think about these points:
- My time is as precious as anyone else’s.
- Healers by their nature are very often the most giving people and can be taken advantage of. They feel so responsible for those seeking healing that many carry a great burden all the time.
- If I’m asked to visit someone to provide healing is it fair that I pay for my own petrol etc. to get there?
- Maybe charging those that can afford it means I can provide healing for free to those that can’t. I know that some people will respond to this with ‘What about the charlatans?’ There are charlatans in any line of work, and penalising those that genuinely help people will not prevent them from being there. Every healer, intuitive, psychic and medium I know has given their time for free many times when they feel they can.
- I know a wonderful teacher. She has a natural talent for encouraging inspiring and teaching children; I know a lovely lady who is an amazing carer and able to assist those in pain, difficulty and in the last days of their terminal illness, just by being there with love and support; I know a beautiful dancer and singer who’s natural talents allow her to bring joy and entertainment to others; I know a talented tennis player who is potential Wimbledon material. I know a skilled surgeon who was blessed with an outstanding brain and a steady hand… I could go on, my point being, and my question to you is this.
As these are naturally gifted people, should they use there talents in the world without any payment?
In times gone by maybe that would have been the case. While living communally in a tribal environment with no cash or monetary value allocated to goods or professions we would all have had a role. These roles would no doubt have been based upon out natural talents.Then we would have learnt the skills needed and gained experience from older tribes people and time served as a kind of apprentice. We would however, have been fed, clothed, and housed by those who’s role it was in the community to provide these things. I may have been a tribal shaman offering advice, readings, healing etc. But, the huntsmen would have fed me. And those gifted with strength and manual dexterity would have housed and clothed me. There would have been no call for charging.
Life Is Not Like That Anymore – Things Cost Money.
If you really don’t want to pay for good spiritual advice, healing or a psychic reading, and you can’t find someone who offers it for free, why not learn to do it for yourself? As a start, listen to your intuition, take more care of your physical body, cut out the crap from your life – bad food, toxic substances, negative people and thinking and get yourself to a happier place. Take responsibility for your own actions and your own future. I actually find that when people learn to work intuitively and psychically for themselves they do so much better as a result than when they simply go to others for readings.
If I’m with someone and receive a message from a loved one in spirit that needs to be passed on to them, I will pass it on. I believe most mediums would. We wouldn’t say we had a message but it would cost them to receive it!.
But I don’t offer readings anymore. I prefer to empower people with knowledge that allows them to become a more positive, fulfilled person. Or teach them to be able to do readings themselves, than to charge them for a one off reading. I prefer to teach someone how to heal for themselves. It makes more of an impact on the individual and they take so much more from it.
I’m not looking for an argument over this subject merely to introduce some thoughts for those individuals who are deciding whether they themselves should charge for healing or offering it for free. I believe there’s a time and a place for both but that the person doing the offering shouldn’t be judged on their choice to charge or not, but on their results and recommendations from their clients or customers.
P.S. The best way to use any healing method is for self -healing. Maybe you could do healing swaps with another healer if you would like to experience having healing from someone else.